Vancouver Island North Tourism is a project of the Regional District of Mount Waddington.
It is managed by a contractor, Tourism Vancouver Island, and it is guided by the Vancouver Island North Tourism Advisory Committee that is made up of regional tourism stakeholders, First Nation, and municipal representatives.
What is a Tourism Stakeholder?
All businesses and organizations that make a direct economic contribution to the Vancouver Island North region (geographical boundaries of the Regional District of Mount Waddington) through tourism and meet the accreditation requirements as outlined in the stakeholder criteria form are considered to be stakeholders and are eligible to participate in co-op funded programs on a cost shared basis.
Tourism Associations, Chambers of Commerce, Industry Associations, Municipalities and the Regional District will also be considered stakeholders.
Why is Vancouver Island North Tourism important to tourism businesses?
Vancouver Island North Tourism is a Community Destination Management Organization. The role of VINT is to represent the North Island as a destination and help the long term development of communities through tourism strategy.
- Acts as the official source of travel information for the VIN region
- Provides an unbiased travel resource for visitors
- Is a one-stop-shop for potential visitors looking for information on experiences, services & facilities
- Coordinates regional tourism promotion
- Supports economic development through tourism
A regional approach makes sense for the North Island given the geographical distribution of tourism products, how visitors travel and search for information on the region, and the connections between communities offering tourism services.
VINT has made great progress in the past 5 years to build awareness for the region as a tourism destination. By pooling resources and working collectively we have had a larger impact for the region. It is important to keep the momentum of this program and stay visible in our target markets to continue to grow tourism and business on the North Island.
How has Vancouver Island North Tourism promoted tourism in the region?
Since 2009 the Vancouver Island North Tourism Advisory Committee [VINTAC] has been developing annual plans that identify activities for the regional tourism project. The following list highlights some of the key projects completed:
- Vancouver Island North Tourism brand
- Regional tourism brochure
- Regional visitors map [2010, 2012 & 2015]
- Regional tourism website [2010 launch, 2014 redesign]
- Regional travel planning website [2013 launch]
- Online marketing
- HD b-roll video library
- Regional tourism video
- Image library
- Vancouver Island North Visitors Guide [2010-2016]
- CTV television & digital ads 
- Times Colonist Discover ad [2010-2012]
- Comox Valley Collective magazine ad 
- Consumer show exhibits [2010-2011, 2014]
- BC Ferries Onboard Travel Advisor [2011-2014]
- Social media presence [Facebook & Twitter since 2011]
- Tourism Vancouver Island Vacation Guide Co-op ads [2009-2016]
- Tourism Vancouver Island Outdoor Guide Co-op ads [2009-2016]
Travel Trade & Media
- Press kit for travel media
- Host for international travel writers (over 25 visiting writers hosted)
- Host for travel trade representatives (6 international operator visits)
- Discover Vancouver Island travel trade event [2014-2016]
- Provincial & provincial regional travel trade networking
Stakeholder Development & Industry Connection
- Tourism season launch events [2011-2016]
- Tourism social events [2015-2016]
- Customer service workshop 
- WorldHost workshop 
- Tourism Vancouver Island Conference [2010-2015]
- Aboriginal Tourism BC workshops [2011 & 2013]
- Community Tourism Foundations [2008, 2011 & 2015]
- Vancouver Island North Tourism Advisory Committee governance workshop 
Projects Completed Through the Rural Tourism Action Grant Program
What/Who is the Vancouver Island North Tourism Advisory Committee?
The Vancouver Island North Tourism Advisory Committee [VINTAC] is a committee of the Regional District of Mount Waddington that has been created to oversee the Vancouver Island North Tourism project and advise the RDMW Economic Development Commission on annual planning and program activities.
It is a 15 member committee composed of:
- 5 Tourism Stakeholder positions
- 4 Strategic Appointment positions
- 7 First Nations appointed position
- 1 RDMW appointed position
- 4 Municipal Appointed positions
View VINT documents:
- 2016 – 2018 Vancouver Island North Tourism Strategic Business Plan (pdf)
- 2016 Vancouver Island North Tourism Marketing Plan (pdf)
- Community Tourism Foundations North Vancouver Island Tourism Plan Update Report [July 2011] (pdf)
- Original Community Tourism Foundations North Vancouver Island Tourism Plan [June 2008] (pdf)